Monthly Archives

August 2015

Compass: What You Can Expect

By | What We're Talking About | No Comments

We are committed to doing the following with excellence.

Worship (Wednesday nights, 8:30-9:30pm, beginning August 26)

We will always provide opportunities for you to have a meaningful, spiritually enriching experience with God. Each week, the Compass young adult service will weave ancient spiritual practices, rich moments of prayer, high quality modern music, and genuinely helpful teaching all together to inspire you in your spiritual journey and empower you to live a life of worship. Nicholas Jackson, Worship Director, and the worship band from our Sunday morning services will lead each week. Jim Murphy, NextGen Pastor, will be teaching most weeks but we’ll also have the other pastors, other young adults, and some guests speaking as well.

Community (Wednesday nights, 9:30-10:30pm)

We will always strive to build the best community experience possible. Each week we’ll serve up some yummy deserts and beverages in the courtyard so you can grab something to eat and make some friends. Our goal is to help you connect with other young adults to form mutually encouraging and meaningful friendships, so that you can become the person God intended you to be. Our desire is for this community to be full of grace and free of judgement for all to feel welcomed and wanted.

Someday, we’ll begin forming small groups but in these early days

Because we’ll be maintaining connections with the campus ministries of BSU, you’ll also have lots of opportunities to participate in various campus activities

Serving (Other days of the week)

We’ll provide meaningful opportunities for you to connect with others of the Covenant Church to serve the Bemidji area through what we call “Unleashing Teams”. We have numerous opportunities such as serving at the Bemidji Soup Kitchen, helping with S.O.S. (Servants of Shelter) a join initiative  by area Bemidji churches to provide shelter for people who are homeless during the winter, volunteering in ministry with kids and teenagers, and many others, as well.

Spiritual Growth

We also provide several bible studies and classes each Wednesday at 6:15pm that you could join to further your understanding of the Bible or deepen your faith life. Watch for their listings here soon.

All of these experiences together will empower you to be who God intends you to be. We hope you jump in and join us. Can’t wait to see you there!

Launching Compass: A Church Community for Young Adults

By | What We're Talking About | No Comments

We are excited to announce the launch of Compass: A Church Community for Young Adults in the Bemidji Area, Wednesday nights, 8:30pm, beginning August 26th.

There are over 6500 young adults ages 18-29 in the Bemidji Area and we estimate that only 300-400 of them are meaningfully connected to a church  or ministry of any sort here in Bemidji. That’s only 6%! What about the other 94%?!

There are lots of blog posts, news articles, and books out there talking about how young adults are disengaging from the church. And, many of them are asking “Why?”

There are all sorts of reasons why. But, in our opinion, the biggest reason why young adults are not engaged with the Church is that the Church is not engaged with young adults. We leave that to “Campus Ministries” like InterVarsity, Cru, Young Life, Chai Alpha, etc. But they’re leading the way into the campus world of young adults only because the Church has not led the way.

We want to change that. We want to fully engage young adults (both on and off campus) and empower them in their faith journey. We also want to continue supporting campus ministries in a way that allows them to do what they do best. If we would be the Church, then they can be the campus outreach. We’ll work as closely as we can with campus ministries, supporting them in every way possible. But, first we need to be the Church and provide a meaningful worship experience, a genuine community of friendships, and opportunities to love and care for others.

We’d love for you to join us. Even if you’re not a young adult, we’d love for you to join our team. Spread the word, and come on to join us as we build this new community of young adults together!